Arriving by Road to Falmouth
- Most people arrive at the outskirts of Falmouth via the A39 from Truro. Follow the directions to Falmouth along a new stretch of road (actually, the Penryn by-pass). After passing a roundabout with a pair of cannons and an anchor on it, you go down a steep hill, finishing at a roundabout which is gravel, rocks, and (in Summer) palm trees, and which is known locally as the “Desert Island.”
- At this point turn right, signposted A39. This roundabout is approximately 1¾ miles (2.8 km) from Dolvean House.
- After 200 yards (180 metres) go straight on at roundabout keeping McDonalds on your left. Look for signs for A39.
- After about half a mile (800 metres) pass the petrol station on the right and go straight on at traffic lights.
- After another quarter mile (400 metres), take second exit at mini roundabout (effectively straight on). Still signposted A39. (You are now in the map on Western Terrace)
- After another quarter mile (400 metres), go straight on at mini roundabout, near the Merchants Manor Hotel on the right.
- The road goes down a long dip, then back up the other side. Dolvean House is on the left just over the brow of the hill. We have our own car park, at the rear of our building.
Arriving by Rail (For latest timetables and routes click here)
- Guests travelling to Cornwall by rail generally do so by main line to Truro, and then change to the local service to Falmouth. The service from Truro to Falmouth runs approximately hourly seven days a week throughout the year. The journey takes about 20 minutes.
- The train from Truro passes through Perranwell, Penryn, and Penmere Halt, before arriving at Falmouth Town station, where you should alight. If by mistake you miss this stop, don’t worry, the train proceeds to Falmouth Docks station (3 minutes journey) and then stops, and then returns back along the single track, and stops again at Falmouth Town before returning to Truro.
- On leaving the platform go down the ramp towards the car park. At the bottom of the ramp follow the pavement round to the right, out onto Avenue Road, and up the hill under the railway bridge.
- Keeping on the right hand pavement, go uphill along Avenue Road to it’s junction with Melvill Road (about 100 yards /90 metres). At this junction stay on the right hand pavement, and turn right onto Melvill Road. Dolvean House is about 40 yards (35 metres) along.
- If you get lost or stuck, phone us on 01326 313 658 and we’ll be pleased to help. Unfortunately, there is not a public telephone at the station.
- If you are unable to manage your cases, and need a taxi to Dolvean House, you will generally need to telephone for one. Taxis do not usually sit at the station awaiting fares. Telephone from Truro station, so that you can be met from the train. We use Donald’s Cars 01326 313123 (www.donalds-cars.co.uk).
Arriving by National Express Coach (For latest timetable click here)
- The coaches drop their passengers at the coach stop at the top of the Moor, approximately outside the Argos catalogue shop. This is about three-quarters of a mile (1.25 km) from Dolvean House.
- We recommend you take a taxi from the taxi rank down the hill from the coach stop. The taxi fare should be around £3.50.
- If you prefer to walk, cross over to the road towards the Iceland frozen food shop, and turn left at the pavement, walking down the hill and then turn right, across the front of the row of shops and then cross the next road (Killigrew Street) towards Choak’s pasty shop.
- Facing Choak’s pasty shop, turn right and walk uphill, along Killigrew Street and Killigrew Road, for about a quarter of a mile. Eventually, the road ends at a roundabout.
- Staying on the left hand pavement, follow it round onto Western Terrace.
- After another quarter mile, go straight on at a mini roundabout near the Green Lawns Hotel.
- The road goes down a long dip, then up the other side. The Dolvean is on the left at the brow of the hill.
If you would like to download your own version of our directions map, please click the link below:
Download Directions Map