Dolvean House built in 1870, was owned by Lord Kimberley. This Landlord owned much of the area around us including a small mine further up the town. In its beginning the house was home for one of Lord Kimberley’s valuable estate managers. The house is still affected by deeds which for example regulate the use of the house. It’s appearance and any building alterations, although it does not come listed.
During wartimes the house was temporarily used as a care home. It was turned into a Bed & Breakfast in the 1960’s when also the original front building was extended at the back.
Gradually Dolvean House has been adapted to the quality standards of Visit Britain and AA. For over 20 years the house has been established as a five star Guest accommodation.
Although the modern luxury interior has been added to over the years, the original Victorian features have been preserved wherever possible.
Apart from the typical Victorian architecture on the front you will find the original wooden mantlepiece in the lounge. Less visible are the foldable window shutters in lounge and restaurant. Most exciting is what we detected during refurbishment: the old intact serving bell system with the pull cord mechanics hidden in the walls and under the floor boards.
In 2012 we learn’t that the famous artist William A. Ingram, a friend of Henry Scott Tuke, lived in our house for a short period of time. He painted the beautiful little picture ‘Bathing, Gyllyngvase Beach’, which is exhibited at the Falmouth Art Gallery. We have acquired a print which is on display in our lounge.